Sunday, November 9, 2008

Maple Brined Turkey

Last year Jed's mom and two younger brothers came to our home for Thanksgiving. It was the best! I love when they visit (it's also nice to not have to drive to Twin)! I wanted them to just be able to RELAX so Jed and I did all the cooking! I loved it! Boy did I really feel like a wife after that!

Well I always stress out about meat. I don't want it to be too dry, but I defiantly don't want to feed anyone uncooked meat. I made Jed buy me a meat thermometer and I'm so glad! I searched online for a recipe for turkey that would taste traditional but better. THIS WAS A HIT! The brine made it SO moist! I'm so excited for Thanksgiving this year!

Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 gallons water (24 cups)
  • 1-1/2 cups pure maple syrup or maple-lavored syrup
  • 1 cup coarse salt
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 8- to10-pound turkey (not self-basting)
  • Cooking oil

Directions

1. For brine, in a 10-quart pot combine water, syrup, salt, and brown sugar; stir to dissolve sugar and salt. Set aside.

2. Rinse turkey inside and out; remove any excess fat from cavity. Carefully add turkey to brine. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.

3. Remove turkey from brine; discard brine. Rinse turkey and pat dry with paper towels. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Tuck drumstick ends under the band of skin across the tail. (If the band of skin is not present, tie the drumsticks securely to the tail.) Twist wing tips under the back. Brush with oil. Insert a meat thermometer into the center of one of the inside thigh muscles.

4. Cover turkey loosely with foil. Roast turkey in a 325 degree F oven for 2-3/4 to 3 hours or until thermometer registers 180 degrees F. After 2-1/4 hours, remove foil and cut band of skin or string between the drumsticks so thighs will cook evenly. When done, drumsticks should move very easily in their sockets. Cover turkey; let stand at room temperature 20 minutes before carving. Makes 12 servings.


P.S. We didn't have room in our refrigerator so I had had disinfect our cooler and we used very cold water and placed it on our back porch. It was cold enough here, in Logan, to not worry about the temperature rising too much.


I found this recipe on Better Homes and Gardens website (www.bhg.com)

1 comment:

Linds said...

We tried the maple brined turkey this Thanksgiving. It turned out great. It was so much easier then basting, and even though I love the basting recipe I have I liked this one a lot better (because it was SO tender throughout the bird). Thanks for posting this recipe Kera :)