Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cabbage and Potatoes


We eat this meal on New Years Day (and lot throughout the year too). Cabbage leaves represent money and is a symbol of good luck for the rest of the year.
My family is rich in Welsh heritage and this meal was made as far back as my family can remember. This is really a "poor man's meal". When money was tough my ancestors made this meal without meat or butter and everything else came from their gardens. This might be one of those comfort foods that others don't like, but Jed's family has enjoyed letting me keep my family tradition alive while celebrating with them.

This is one of those recipes that doesn't have exact measurements....SORRY... :O) Just how I learned to cook.

In a large pot combine
-One head of cabbage cored and quartered (don't cut small than this because the cabbage will "cook away"
-A small bag of baby carrots or carrots cut into slices
-Potatoes peeled and cut into thick slices (maybe 4 0r 5. I normally add them last and just fill the pot)
-Diced Onion (maybe 1/4 to a 1/2 med onion)
-One package smoked sausage (the "horseshoe" type package and my mom and I really like the skinless)
-One cube of real butter
-Salt and Pepper to taste

Cover with water and bring to boil then simmer for about 2 hours. When stirring do so very carefully.

We always make cornbread and A-1 sauce is really yummy mixed with it.

No comments: